Frog Hollow Farm

Address: 401 Frogtown Road, Kintnersville, PA 18930    Reservation Line: 610.847.FROG (3764)

Our Area

Pennsylvania winterscape

Today, Upper Bucks County remains a relatively rural area, situated where modern transportation makes us a “bedroom community” to Philadelphia and New York City. But back in the day, we were more than a sleepy farming zone that buffers the artistic mecca of New Hope from the gateway to the Pocono Mountains. Our communities were directly involved in the fight for freedom from the British Empire that gave birth to America.

Upper Bucks County was first populated by English and Welsh Quakers, who called Quakertown and Richland home. Settlers of German descent later settled in the swampy areas of Nockamixon township, built churches here (including St. Luke’s, just around the corner from our property), and came to have a significant influence on the cultural development of our area. But before that,

Upper Bucks County played an important role in the Revolutionary War.

Quakertown hid the Liberty Bell from the British at what is now known as the Liberty House, located on Broad Street across from McCoole’s Red Lion Inn, known as the meeting place of those attributed with fomenting the Whiskey Rebellion.

Durham Boat SignDurham Furnace, just up the road from us, produced ammunition and military supplies. If not for the forge and shot tower in Durham Village, there would have been no cannonballs or musket shot to be used by the Colonial Army.

Durham was also responsible for building and providing the boats used by Gen. George Washington to cross the Delaware at McConkey’s Ferry on Christmas Night, 1776. The crossing was the beginning of the silent march to the Battle of Trenton, a critical victory that was the turning point for the Continental Army in the war against the Redcoats.

In addition to farming and related agricultural pursuits such as creameries and blacksmithing, industry in our area consisted of the manufacturing of cigars, boots and pipe organs, among other products.

Bucks County SealColonial governor William Penn’s council ordered in 1683 that “the seal of the County of Bucks, Pennsylvania be a tree and a vine.” The shield came from the family crest. Nockamixon Township, where we’re located, was originally part of current-day Bridgeton Township, and our whole region was part of the original charter left to Penn’s three sons after his death.

Bucks County encompasses 607 square miles, home to 54 municipalities (23 boroughs and 31 townships). Its official symbols include:

  • CardinalFlower – violet
  • Bird – cardinal
  • Mammal – cottontail rabbit
  • Tree – dogwood
  • Fish – catfish

(Thanks to Nancy Janyszeski for her historic research, upon which some of this material is based, and for sharing it so generously at Bucks County History.

 

What our guests are saying…

Easter arrives wrapped in the splendor of springtime. Wishing you all the beauty springtime in upper Bucks County is famous for. —Ruth & Richard

We two Georgians got an introduction to life in Bucks County—an area we’ve known of and read about and now have visited. —Herbert & Bettie